Sunday 6 November 2011

It's beautiful...

Though I'm not a big fan of Rabindranath Tagore, living in Bengal for the past years has brought me in contact with his writings a lot of times, resulting in distancing me all the more from Tagore. I'd always heard the Bengali version of his songs and poems and I admit I didn't like them much!

However recently I came across a verse written by him, which had been translated in English. It goes as follows :
Through many years,
At great expense,
Journeying through many countries
I went to see high mountains,
I went to see oceans.
Only i had not seen
At my very doorstep,
The dew drop glistening
On the ear of the corn.

A great truth written in such simple words!
Maybe that's one of the reasons he's hailed all around the world! :)

1 comment:

Ishita Shah said...

This sure is a good observation:) I like it:)