Sunday 19 August 2012

The Monsoon Drama!


Did you know carrying an umbrella is an art? It’s worthy of being practiced to attain perfection! You don’t believe me, do you?


This monsoon rains have been so infrequent and imbalanced with a vast array of diseases striking the city, that every little drizzle makes you whip out the umbrella! Gone are the days when we used to prance about in the rains and deliberately forget our umbrellas at home!

  • For starters, like me, carrying an umbrella atop your head and handling a side bag along with making sure that you don’t land in the puddles or poke someone with you umbrella, is a difficult task! And what if your cell phone starts ringing?!
  • If the rains bring along the winds, then you have make sure the umbrella doesn’t fly away, thus removing your attention from the fact that you might be getting wet face-down!
  • When I’m walking on the footpath, alongside ether people I have to make sure that my umbrella isn’t too low, or else I might end up poking those without one. And now when I’m holding the umbrella high to avoid causing inconvenience to others, I kind of end up getting wet.
  • And Calcutta footpaths, where available, tend to have such constricted spaces, that a lot of times you have to close the umbrella, pass the spot, and the open it again. Defeats the purpose of not getting wet, don’t you think?
  • Oh and please do tell me how am I supposed to react when all those people sitting in the bus crib that my umbrella’s dripping water! People, for God’s sake, it’s raining outside. I’m carrying an umbrella. I just got on to the bus somehow. Of course my umbrella’s going to drip water! Unless someone out there has invented a water-absorbent umbrella!

So that’s my story of the recent trysts I had with the umbrella!

Someone bring out those raincoats, please! They also save you from the muddy water flicked across by passing cars!

6 comments:

vijay said...

Its like reading an essay on 'A rainy day'...but this is what u see these days..with the rain playing a spoil sport,Umbrellas and raincoats all around...but the worst is yet to come...

Anonymous said...

rain rain come again - poem my daughter is learning nowadays !!
:-)

Aditi said...

Vijay, yes its been raining all the more for the past 2 days!

Aditi said...

Prashant, after hearing so much about your kids, I really want to meet them! Put up their picture on your blog sometime!

Coach Zubin said...

Some enjoy the rain, others get wet! :)

Aditi said...

Zubin Sir, count me among the ones who get wet! (And then go down with fever! :P )