Wednesday 1 February 2012

Colours in the skies!

Recently while going through the Google News section, I saw a write-up on a solar storm approaching the Earth. What caught my eye was the part about Aurora. I remembered faintly reading about it in some school text-book but nothing beyond that.

Wikipedia says, "An aurora  is a natural light display in the sky particularly in the high latitude (Arctic and Antarctic) regions, caused by the collision of energetic charged particles with atoms in the high altitude atmosphere (thermosphere). The charged particles originate in the magnetosphere and solar wind and, on Earth, are directed by the Earth's magnetic field into the atmosphere."


I say, "Forget the science behind it, just look at the pictures below!"

Instantly I Google-d Aurora and the images which were shown rendered me speechless!

Here are some of my favourite shots :









Whoever's taken these, I salute them! Not only did they survive the bitter cold and witness the beauty but captured them and shared it with us!


Single rainbow, I've seen. But imagine yourself on a plain landscape and two rainbows adorning the azure blue sky!





And sometimes when the skies are adorned with beautiful shades of violet during twilight, it takes your breath away!









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful collection!

Aditi said...

Thank you! :)

Vikash said...

Very beautiful pics they are:))vry nice

Ishita Shah said...

Wonderful , Fantabulous!
However i cant see all the pictures for reasons unknown:(